In a message dated 19/11/2003 21:37:54 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Is anyone doing heaf tests in all immigrants regardless of BCG status yet?

What are you doing with negatives – HIV testing?

Would you consider giving another BCG if heaf negative and HIV negative?

Would you refer all grade 3-4 heaf results to a Respiratory Physician as per the BTS guidelines?

Again, interesting stuff. We currently heaf all new immigrants from TB endemic countries regardless of whether a BCG scar is present or not. It is also policy to send for CXR. Any negatives are repeated (if no scar). If they have a scar a negative heaf would not be repeated.

All 3 and 4 would be referred to a respiratory physician.

I do wonder and have asked on this list before if all these CXR's and heaf are necessary. Surely one or t'other would suffice. The problem is also complicated by those from non-TB endemic coutries who are here for 12 months and then plan to go back to their native country (ie USA/Scandinavia). They may not wish to have BCG (as this could cause chemoprophylaxis when home) yet are they not prone to exposure while here??

I shall await the responses to your questions with interest.

Glenn Raybone