Re: SARS and facemasks on 28/8/03 12:22 pm, heather george at [log in to unmask] wrote:

My thoughts entirely!
Regards
Heather Bearpark (formerly George)

----Original Message Follows----
There has been no SARS case reported World-wide since July There were only
ever 4 cases in the UK.
If this mask-recommendation is true, it is ridiculous over-reaction.
(Perhaps the source was a sales rep!
Dr. Alan Swann, BM, AFOM
Director of Occupational Health
Occupational Health Service
Imperial College London
Southside building
South Kensington Campus
London
SW7 1 LU
Tel: +44 (20) 7594 9385
Fax: +44 (20) 7594 9407
http://www.ad.imperial.ac.uk/occ_health/
-----Original Message-----
From: heather george [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 28 August 2003 10:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SARS and facemasks
I have just had the following query from one of our first aiders & would be
grateful if anyone out there could point me towards any guidance related to
this item:
"in light of the recent SARS cases it is now recommended that First Aiders'
have a flow guard face mask for CPR - are you aware of this new legislation"
I am asking the persons who raised this to identify their source also.
Regards
Heather Bearpark (formerly George)
_____
Protect your PC from e-mail viruses. Get MSN 8 today.

Buy and sell almost anything online with  Ebay Auctions on MSN. <http://g.msn.com/8HMRENUK/2755??PS=>

As part of my OH practice I undertake HSE approved first aid at work courses and recently underwent a revalidation. I have not heard of any such guidance and as others have pointed out the UK was not really hit by the SARS epidemic.

Obviously face shields make the process of performing CPR more hygienic and therefore more "pleasant" for the first aider. Have you contacted the HSE for their guidance? The department which deals with standards for first aid training are based in Manchester. Their telephone number is 0161 952 8322. I have found them most helpful.

Best wishes

Anne Harriss