Hi Samantha,

This is a tricky one, as no company policy or procedure is in place.
However, you do have some Regulations in which to help you. Firstly, you
have the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (which is also quoted in the
Management of Health and Safety at Work regs 1992) and I quote " Employees
have a duty under section 7 of the HSW act 1974 to take reasonable care for
their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their
acts or omissions at work"

From this, the employer has every right to remove the employee from his
area of work, especially if there is a high risk / potential to cause harm,
either to himself (employee), others and the workplace. I would suggest
that alternative safe work is found for this employee (it has been known
for people to be suspended from work altogether). It is then up to
management to decide what to be done as regards his work but your
responsibility would be to facilitate treatment either via his GP or other
agencies.

I know you said he doesn't wish management to know but you are also are an
employee so you have responsibilities under the same Act. I think if this
is dealt with sensitively, then the breach of confidentiality will be
recognised as a necessary one. Perhaps some persuading on your part for you
to disclose to key management?

Hope this helps

Roz Wood