Dear all

our employees use various various vibratory tools including dynabrade
grinders, desoutter pneumatic sanders, angle grinders and spindle belt
sanders.

our guidelines are as follows:

at early stage 2, employees should be reviewed on a six monthly basis.  If
there is no change in their condition after the second six monthly review,
they should revert to annual review.  Rapidly progressing or late stage 2
upward cases should be advised to cease vibration exposure.  At late stage 2
the employee should be reviewed at 6 weeks from the last review to ensure
that the recommendations on vibration exposure has been followed.

Following annual HAVS surveillance the following criteria is used for
deciding those individuals who should be considered for more detailed tests
at the HAVS centre.  All cases are first discussed by OH with the
Occupational Physician.

Suspected new cases
Rapidly progressing symptoms or disability
Upper stage 2 cases (sensorineural or vascular)
All stage 3 cases.

In my experience the employees perception on how long they use vibratory
tools, and the actual time of vibration exposure vary considerably. When
questioned on screening employees tend to state 8 hours a day, but on
further questioning e.g. break times, job rotation etc the time spent using
vibratory tools is much less.

The use of tachometers as mentioned by Lindsey has left me intrigued, would
love to try this in my workplace!

[Smith, Pat]