H Group
Whilst researching the Newcastle Coal and Copper Company here in NSW Australia (around 1855) .. I have come across the term  'croping'  used in the following context:

" The 'cropings' for the (engine) plane are prepared and might be put down in a day if required..." and
" the two wagon differing so greatly in construction, it would be unwise to put down sidings and 'cropings' for either..."

The simple explanation is I have misread the manuscipt for "crossing but I do not think so... otherwise I have never encountered the word before ...can anyone assist ?
A a clue perhaps...The writer of the report came to Australia from Glamorganshire.

Regards
John