At the time I was planning to send this the other day, my computer
came up with some sort of error message, so I am not sure whether
it actually went or not.  Sorry if it is just a repetition.

In the discussion of mine records, someone mentioned mine
surface plans.
In my 1950 student report on Cadley Hill and Bretby collieries, south
Derbyshire, now lodged with theDerbyshire County Record Office in
Matlock (DRO Accession Number D 5444) I included plans of the
surface buildings, railway sidings etc at both pits, drawn in the
original to a scale of 60 feet to the inch.
The Record Office has produced a printed version "A Report on
Cadley Hill and Bretby Collieries Summer 1950 by A>A>C> Brewis,
 ISBN 0 901761 78 8, but in doing so they have omitted "because of
technical difficulties" what I think of as two key drawings, namely
(1) a general plan of the Swadlincote area showing railway lines and
colliery locations, below which there is a geological cross-section of
the area showing the principal coal seams, and
(2) the surface layout plan of Cadley Hill colliery.
(The similarly drawn surface plan of Bretby is included but, as this
report is on A4 and the orgiginal was drawn on foolscap, the copy in
the printed report is at a reduced size).
I have queried the omission of what I think are two key illustrations
and at one stage (almost a year ago) the archivist, Dr Margaret O'Sullivan,
did say they were having another go at reproducing the drawings and
she hoped to produce a second edition of the printed version which
would include them, but I have heard nothing more and I guess nothing
has happened.  (If any persons on the list live near Matlock, it might help

if someone could ask what is going on, and stire things up???).
The surface plan of Cadley Hill ( I am sure there must be others on file,
on which I based my drawings, so I cannot claim that my original is the
only such record) might be of  particular interest to historians as the
mine
site was, I understand, subsequently reworked as an opencast so all
vestiges of what was there will have disappeared.
One of the buildings was the engine house which held a winder whose
drum had three sections of different diameters, as it had originally served

(simultaneously!) three shafts of different depths.  I believe this winder
eventually went to Chatterley Whitfield, but I have no idea what its
eventual
fate might have been.
Tony Brewis