There is an egg-ended boiler surviving at the Nantgarw Pottery, just north
of Cardiff. A knowledgable friend dates it at 1820/30. It is in a
precarious state at present with its building collapsed on top of it and
intense rusting.

That does not answer your question as to how rare such a thing is but now
there are two!

Michael Messenger

At 11:59 21/07/03 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>Some time ago there was a discussion of egg-ended boilers, but I cannot
>remember what the result was.  In the last week, however, a friend has
>found one concealed by undergrowth on a colliery site.  No maker's plates
>are evident, but we think that it dates from the first half of the 19th
>century.  Can anyone tell us how rare the survival of such a boiler is?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Mike Gill

Michael Messenger
http://www.twelveheads.com/