I have been underground in cut-down Landcruisers in chromite mines in South
Africa. Not the very deep gold mines, where ventilation certainly is a
problem. These are drift mines, where you can just drive in. Because the
chromite seams are rather thin (in some of the mines just 1.6 to 1.8 metres)
they cut off all the superstructure so that the highest point on the vehicle
is the top of the steering wheel - and the driver's helmet !  Passengers
crouch in the seats or lie in the back. Ventilation in these mines is quite
good, as they have enough entrances to get good air movement. I didn't
notice any particular problem with exhaust fumes.

Diesel vehicles are quite commonly used in underground mines that have good
ventilation and no fire hazard (i.e. not coal mines!). In the UK they are
used for example at Winsford salt mine, and many years ago in my student
days (1960s) I drove an ordinary petrol mini-van underground in the gypsum
mine at East Leake, where the archival drill-core store was in a disused
area of the mine.

- Steve Henley

Dr Stephen Henley
Resources Computing International Ltd