The answer to this question is the usual one - it depends upon a number of
factors.

Archaeometallurgists like myself do these kinds of mass-balance calculations
quite often to try to estimate the quantity of iron produced at an
archaeological site from the volume of slag remaining. To estimate this you
need (a) representative chemical analysis of the ore used; (b)
representative chemical analysis of the slag; (c) surveyed volume of slag
and (d) some factor to convert volume of slag to weight. In theory this
sounds quite simple, but in practice there are a number of awkward
complications. Getting reprentative analyses is a thorny problem in itself,
since ancient metal workers didn't strive for a constant grade of ore, nor
can one assume that furnace conditions were constant from run to run (so the
recovery of iron may have varied greatly). There is also the problem of poor
refractories - the very iron-rich slags of the bloomery furnace readily
dissolve fired clay tuyeres and furnace linings, so part of the composition
of the slag derives from the refractories (and also from the ash in the
charcoal fuel). There is also a lot of stuff in a slag heap, typically, that
isn't slag, such as broken bits of furnace, old tuyeres, rejected ore,
unburned charcoal, ash, and so on. Since this is not usually evenly
distributed, it's difficult to know whether the weight of slag per unit
volume in one's excavated trenches into a slag heap is representative of the
whole. The median figure from my own test units in slag heaps in central
Africa was 1350 kg per cubic meter, which shows that slag can pack quite
loosely (the specific gravity of single pieces of compact bloomery slag is
usually in the range from 4 to 6 gm/cc)but the degree of packing must vary
from site to site.

In summary, therefore, there's a great deal of uncertainty attached to such
estimates.

David Killick
Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology