On Thursday, Dec 4, 2003, at 11:29 Europe/London, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> One of the most useful books I have read on environmental issues facing
> mining and smelting companies is 'River of Tears', Earth Island Press
> and
> out of print but might be obtainable through appropriate internet
> sources.
> It was published in the 1970's.

Another title that may be worth a look at would be 'Red Alert'; Open
Pit Mining, A. Lovins. A tad long in the tooth perhaps as it too was
published in 1973, However, as one of the leading 70s environmentalists
the author presents a reasonably balanced view of the merits and
problems associated with open pit mining.

Pete Challis