Dear Noel,

Yes, in part anyway. However, Sulphur (and Manganese), was previously
acquired from various other parts of the World as well of course. Sicily, and
then there was Elba, but these two places were somewhat 'out of bounds' at
that time!

The Americans supplied vast quantities, but shipping losses did create
potentially dangerous shortages from time to time. So, the UK mineral
resources came under scrutiny again, via The Ministry of Supply (who had very
high level authorisation), and financed all sorts of exploratory and
production work all over the British Isles for everything from Lead, Zinc,
Mica, Tungsten, to other 'strategic' minerals (one or two 'production
projects' were a bit dubious as well - but we will not go into that!).

These 'emergency' facilities were simply just 'getting' mineral whatever the
cost, and most, if not all of these operations, were only intended as
emergency stopgaps and ceased production immediately the war ended - and
before in some cases after the Battle of the Atlantic when shipping could
move in relative safety once more.

Virtually the same thing happened in WW1, but the pressure did not seem quite
so extreme (we did actually have the vestiges of a home mining industry at
that time anyway! - apart from coal obviously), so it was more 'important
topping-up' than anything else - but valuable all the same.

If anyone is thinking of writing a book..... 'The British Mining Industry at
War' (or somesuch title to cover WW1 & WW2), I would be pleased to supply Mss
& info.! This 'work' could cover other Countries than the UK if wished, since
Britain was still producing in India, Canada, Australia, and South Africa -
just to name some. Anyway......!

Sorry for a few more words than intended, but it is an interesting subject!

Regards, Bernard.