Hi Mike,

You are quite right in thinking that hammer scale and anthracite are out of
place in this excavation, the contexts for these are some 40cm above the
materials that I am currently trying to identify - an this is one of the
problems for me.

Back in the 50's when I worked for Derbyshire Stone at Matlock, I visited
the shaking table plant regularly, and if my memory serves me correctly, the
waste from the tables was a very fine slurry material, the colour of which
changed depending on where the ore and gangue material was coming from. I
remember well the multi-layering and vividly different colours in the
stratigraphy of the waste heap before it was carted away.

Unfortunately I have not as yet seen such material in an archaeological
setting to be able to draw any comparisons. The multi-layers and differing
colours of the layers I am trying to identify have without doubt been held
in suspension with water. I have trawled the usual library and
archaeological report sources for any previous archaeological work carried
out with mineral wastes, but as yet I have drawn a blank.

Date wise I am talking about post 1728 having discovered a George II penny
with a 1728 date mark - the pottery suggests a date around 1750ish.

Kindest regards,

Trevor.