I have recently found a water wheel with a rather unusual maker's mark on its shrouds.  It is a capital C, superimposed on a capital W, measuring about an inch across.  It is on a wheel from the Ivybridge area, and I wondered who the founder was.  One local foundry was run by a family with W as the initial letter of its surname; Willcocks in Buckfastleigh.  However, all previous examples I have seen have got WILLCOCKS BUCKFASTLEIGH cast into their shrouds.  Is there any information out there on foundries and their marks?

Join Freeserve http://www.freeserve.com/time/

Winner of the 2003 Internet Service Providers' Association awards for Best Unmetered ISP and Best Consumer Application.