From: Robert Waterhouse <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: [MINING-HISTORY] Lime kilns with inclined planes

> Dear List,
>
> I am currently researching a small group of limekilns in the Tavistock
area in west Devon, which were served by inclined planes, powered by
waterwheels.  I am looking for other examples, in the UK I assume.  Can
anyone help?  The examples in Devon seem to have been built circa 1816-18,
but remained in use until circa 1870.  They may have a connection with the
engineer John Taylor, and I wonder if there are any examples in the
Grassington area for example?  Are there any inclines associated with blast
furnaces?

> Join Freeserve http://www.freeserve.com/time/
>
> Winner of the 2003 Internet Service Providers' Association awards for Best
Unmetered ISP and Best Consumer Application.