A number of rumours have reached me recently regarding the Rostowrack Beam Engine in Cornwall.  This 30" rotative pumping engine is the only engine by William West of St Blazey to have survived.  It was built in 1851, and ended its working life pumping china clay slurry at the Goonvean & Rostowrack China Clay Works near St Austell.  It was dismantled in the 1950s and was re-erected in Holman's museum.  When this closed in the 1970s, it was dismantled again and put into store in a former china clay dry near Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.  I now hear that the roof of this building fell in last winter, and that no attempt has been made to secure the building.  I believe the engine is now owned by the National Trust, and wonder whether anyone knows any more about the situation.  I have heard that a number of parts have gone missing, quite apart from the effects of the weather on the engine.  Please can list members help?

Robert Waterhouse

Join Freeserve http://www.freeserve.com/time/

Winner of the 2003 Internet Service Providers' Association awards for Best Unmetered ISP and Best Consumer Application.