From: "JOHN BERRY" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2003 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: [MINING-HISTORY] historically important mines

> Don't forget the geological aspects.
>
> (1) Geological uniqueness/classic example of type:  In the US White Pine
Copper in Michigan (the only large shale-hosted stratabound Cu deposit in
N.Am., one of only 3 such in the world (Kupferschiefer, Zambian Cu-Belt).
Cornish Tin and Kaolin deposits (both unique & classic)), Parys Mtn (only?
?Sedex Cu in UK).

> (2) Quality of Mineral Specimens/Importance in development of
mineralogical science:
> In the UK the Lake District hematite mines (famous for the quality of
specimens),
> Peak Didtrict Blue John mines;  Scottish strontianite mines/occurrences.
>
> (3) Importance in evolution of geological science:
> Cornwall, Peak District, Welsh anthracite mines.
>
> As with other reasons for historic designation - no need to preserve every
example (e.g. all tin mines in Cornwall), but only representative or
outstanding examples (e.g.: in Cornish case perhaps a mine that has been
extensivelty studied and shows paragenesis and alsdotransition to Cu ores at
depth).