I've not been on the list for quite some time and my research has been
in the US and Ireland, but the question of using the designation
historic seems to cut across boundaries.

I think that in defining a mine as "historic" you should consider
factors such as relative age, i.e. if it is the first or one of the
earliest (pioneer) mines in a mining region. Examples would be the
Jackson Mine on the Marquette (MI USA)Iron Range or the Cliff Mine in
the Michigan Copper Country. These are mines that helped spark and fuel
the development of a mining regions. A second factor could/should be
place in the industry -- was the mine noted for production, richness of
ore, longevity, or innovations in mining technology or practice. An
example that qualifies on all counts is the Cliffs Shaft Mine, also on
the Marquette range in Michigan.

Bill Mulligan