From: Robert Waterhouse <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, June 16, 2003 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: horse winding

>This is extremely interesting, as farm horse whims in rural south Devon
often included a horse-shoe shaped yoke which could revolve on the driving
arm of the whim.  I bet there is a connection, with either emigrant miners
or farmers, but as its a vernacular type of feature, there probably won't be
any written descriptions of the time (probably late 18th-19th century) when
the idea was possibly being exported.  Why a horse driving an apple crusher
or threshing machine needed to be reversed I have no idea, unless it was
necessary when the machine jammed.  I would have thought they just reversed
the horse though, especially as they used blinkers to ensure it went on a
regular trajectory!

>Robert Waterhouse, Ashburton, South Devon
>>
>> From: Roger Baden Bradford <[log in to unmask]>
>> Date: Thu 12/Jun/2003 07:55 GMT
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: Re: horse winding
>>
>> Hi Listers
>> With all the Whims I have come across in the Australian Bush, one thing
is
>> quite clear- the 'U' shaped yoke within which the horse is harnesed is
quite
>> free to rotate, so it is quite possible that idear was imported from the
old
>> country, possibly by the Cornish Miners??
>> Hope this helps.
>> Take Care.
>> Roger B Bradford, Of Elizabeth, South Australia.
>> Ps Ex Hon' Project Officer for the S.A National Trust At Moonta Mines.

Unmetered ISP and Best Consumer Application.