I've had a look at "Burke's Peerage", and if Liddell was a relative of Lord
Ravensworth, he wasn't a close enough one to be listed there. A more likely
candidate would be Matthew Liddell (1809-1881), son of Cuthbert Liddell of
Newcastle, who is mentioned in "Burke's Landed Gentry" (Eighteenth Edition,
Volume 2, 1969, p 393).

I've just discovered another reference to a mining engineer called Liddell
in "The Development and Organization of Lord Dudley's Mineral Estates,
1774-1845" by T J Raybould (Economic History Review XXI (1968), pp 529-544).
In 1836 he and another engineer called Smith were commissioned to report on
Lord Dudley's pits in Staffordshire. according to a footnote to the
article:-

"Richard Smith... was the more important of the two, having established
himself as a leading mining engineer after managing the General Mining
Association's concerns in Nova scotia. He was appointed mineral agent to
Lord Dudley in Dec 1836. Liddell was a Northumberland miner engaged... to
work on the report with Smith"

Keith Ramsey

Benton Grange was the Newcastle upon Tyne seat of Matthew Liddell in the
mid-19th century. [Ref.: Faulkner & Lowery (1996), "Lost Houses of
Newcastle and Northumberland"]

I do not know what relation (if any) he was to Sir Thomas Liddell, coal
owner, of Ravensworth Castle, near Gateshead, who was created Lord
Ravensworth in 1821.

Mike Syer