From: "Andrew Hurrell" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "David Hardwick" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: Beam Engine House at Rockley, Barnsley.

 Dear list

 Rockley is one of the sites for which I am 'Custodian'.

The only details I have of the engine is that it was an 'Atmospheric
engine', dated to 1813 and was sold on for reuse in Chapeltown (a few miles
away) about 1870.

Mine was for iron and only seems to have opened after the blast furnace
closed. A plan I have that shows the coal workings does not show the mine,
but there is a large area that is unworked.

The enginehouse makes a fantastic site, but it is more than we can do to
stop it disappearing into the undergrowth every summer.

For the record, the chimney is built into one corner of the building, but
the boilerhouse is long gone.

Our webpage for Rockley is:- www.topforge.co.uk\Other%20Prop.htm

Regards

Andrew Hurrell