In message <000801c2cf85$74532040$c9d7403e@q0b3g0>, Alan Vickers
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I have recently come across a reference to 'Hepple and Cranston's coal cutting
>machines' being used at the Dorothea Pit, one of the Lambton collieries in the
>then County Durham, now Tyne & Wear.  Unfortunately there is no date on the
>reference and all I know is that  it was after 1878.
>
>Does any list member have any information on these coal cutting machines.
>
>Alan Vickers.

Hi,

Three newspaper cuttings. The first is most relevant, the last is a
maybe for Hepple.

The Mining Journal.

Page 109 Col. 2, 1st. Feb. 1879.

COAL-CUTTING MACHINERY.

        An improved and economic coalcutter is at present being
introduced by Mr. J.G. Cranston, of Newcastle-on-Tyne, whose name is
already favourably known in connection with rock drills and air
compressors, and promises greatly to economise labour and increase the
output with a much greater percentage of round coal. At the trial at the
Trimdon Grange Colliery, in the presence of a number of colliery viewers
and mining engineers, the new machine, which is mounted on four wheels
to suit the gauge of rail for tubs, and weighs only 4 cwts. complete,
gave great satisfaction. The machine cut a 2 in. groove 3 yards along
the bottom of the face of coal 3ft. 4in. in with one man feeding it
along the face, including all stoppage, in 55 mins. It has one 4in.
diameter steam or air cylinder and 5in. stroke, the piston having both a
reciprocating and revolving motion at the same time. The extreme
dimensions are 3ft. x 2ft. 6ins. x 10ins. high, so that it takes up
exceedingly little room in the confined spaces or low seams of coal. It
can cut itself into the coal the desired length, and will undercut the
same groove level with the sole or plate below the coal, so that there
is not any coal cut to waste other than the 2in. groove, the diameter of
the cutting tool. The machine does not require any fixing when it is at
work, and clears itself of the coal dust as it works along. It will with
one man and a lad cut 30 yards along 1 yard in a shift of eight hours.
It is highly thought of by many practical men, who are capable of
knowing its utility, and an early opportunity will be taken to publish
an illustrated description of it in the Mining Journal.

The Mining Journal

Saturday 4th January 1879

Page 5.

Advert: The "Cranston" Rock Drill.

Is driving levels 200 linear feet per month in hard quartz rock.
"Eberhardt" Tunnel now driven in over 3842 linear feet with these Drills
and Compressors.

Can be seen in Daily Practical Operation drilling 60 feet of Blast Holes
per day in Limestone Rock at one-fifth the cost of Hand Labour.

For other particulars and prices, apply to -- J.G. Cranston, 22 Grey
Street, Newcastle-on-Tyne.

Derbyshire Times.

Saturday 26th. March 1859.

Page 4 Col. 4.

Appalling Death of Two Men.

        A most appalling catastrophe occurred at North Shields, last
week. In the outskirts, there is a landsale pit known as Preston New
Winning, and the waterworks company have arranged for a supply of water
from it. Between four and five o'clock, Mr. Thomas Wilson, foreman to
Messrs. Hepple and Landells, engine-wrights, and Mr. Thomas Proctor,
foreman to the waterworks, descended into the pit to look after the
workmen employed putting the pipe in. They went down in a cage, and
scarcely got to the bottom when a most frightful catastrophe occurred.
The banksman, John Hardman, had not noticed that the cage had gone down,
he being engaged in talking to some cartmen. He pushed a tub to the
shaft, but observing, too late, that the cage had gone, he held on by
it. It dragged him after it, and he and it fell down the shaft. They
fell on Mr. Wilson, who was killed on the spot. Hardman's back was
broken, and he died very shortly after. The tub also struck Mr. Proctor,
breaking one of his thighs, and otherwise injuring him; and from
enquiries made on Wednesday morning, there were very slight hopes indeed
of his recovery.

Dave Williams  - [log in to unmask]

Visit the Mining History Network at
http://info.exeter.ac.uk/~RBurt/MinHistNet
for information on PDMHS Ltd., the active Mining History Society.