I'm doing a bit of archival work and came across this recently, written by
John Whitehurst as part of his very detailed and well thought-out work on
the geology of Derbyshire in the late 18th Century:

"Thus are the above veins circumstanced: now what is yet more remarkable is
this. If a sharp pointed pick is drawn down the vein with a small degree of
force, the minerals begin to crackle, as sulphur excited to become
electrical by rubbing; after this, in the space of two or three minutes,
the solid mass of the minerals explodes with much violence, and the
fragments fly out, as if blasted with gun-powder. These effects have
frequently happened, by which many workmen have been much wounded, but none
killed, both in the eyam mines and in that at Castleton.

In the year 1738 a prodigious explosion happened in the mine called
Haycliff. The quantity of two hundred barrels of the above minerals were
blown out at one shaft, each barrel, I presume, contained no less than
three or four hundred weight. At the same time a man was blown twelve
fathoms perpendicular, and lodged upon a floor, or bunding, as the miners
called it.

When the above explosion happened, the barrel, or tub, in which the
minerals, &c. are raised to the surface, happened to hang over the engine-
shaft, which is nearly seven feet wide, and five or six hundred yards from
the forefield, or part, where the explosion happened; this barrel, though
of considerable weight, was lifted up in the hook in which it was
suspended; and the people on the surface felt the ground shake, as by an
earthquake.

Such are the effects which have frequently been produced in all the above
mines; but from what cause they proceed I have not yet been able to
discover, nor even the least traces towards it. When these wonderful
effects first happened they deterred the workmen for some years from
venturing to work the mines, but afterwards they availed themselves of this
extraordinary property. A man would go to the forefield, give a scratch
with his pick, and run away; by which means he loosened as much of the
minerals as could have been done by common workmanship with ten men in
three months.

These curious observations I received from Mr. Mettam of Eyam, overseer of
the mines, who also addressed the following account of them to Mr. George
Tissington of Winster."

List members may have seen this before but I found it a fascinating read -
sounds like some kind of rock-burst. Apparently the ore-ground where such
events occurred was heavily slickensided.

Cheers - John