As part of the Environment Agency's Metal Mine Strategy for Wales - SRK, the
contractors for the design of a remediation proposal for Cwm Rheidol with a
view to reducing Acid Mine Drainage / heavy metal contamination in the
Rheidol, have asked if the local mining history interest groups have any
information which might be relevant to the site and the associated mines
which drain through to Cwm Rheidol, i.e. Temple, Llwynteifi, Bwlchgwyn,
Penrhiw and Ystumtuen.

As the Welsh Mines Society has no central archive of material, we are
reliant on the help of individuals. If anyone has material, historical or
contemporary, particularly surveys of features, both surface and
underground, including modern surveys of the workings, can they please send
me copies so a co-ordinated response can be prepared.

It is not just a matter of providing information for the contractor - we,
the mining history interest groups, need to be informed on all aspects of
the site to effectively respond to their design proposals.

Peter

Dr Peter Claughton,
Blaenpant Morfil, nr. Rosebush, Clynderwen, Pembrokeshire, Wales  SA66 7RE.
Tel. 01437 532578; Fax. 01437 532921; Mobile 07831 427599

University of Exeter - School of Historical, Political and Sociological Studies
(Centre for South Western Historical Studies)
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Co-owner - mining-history e-mail discussion list.
See http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/mining-history/  for details.

Mining History Pages - http://www.exeter.ac.uk/~pfclaugh/mhinf/