In message <[log in to unmask]>, SERVICE CULTUREL
L'ARGENTIERE <[log in to unmask]> writes
>> Could anyone on the list point me in the direction of any descriptions
>> or sites showing the crushing and washing of lead ores in the mid
>> 18th century please? I have a riverside site where the ores from a
>> nearby mine were prepared, prior to being shipped across the
>> Bristol Channel to Bristol for smelting, and am looking for any
>> parallels.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> --
>> Dr Tim Young
>> Email: [log in to unmask]
>> Web: www.geoarch.co.uk
>> Phone: 029 20747480
>> Mobile: 07802 413704
>> Fax: 08700 547366
>
>There was a lead ore plant dating from the mid 17th century near Llanelly at
>Pencoed on the River Loughor, with shipment from Yspitty Pill. Coke was used
>here, before its use at Ironbridge ;-)
>
>See :
>
>M.V. Symons, Coal Mining in the Llanelly Area, vol. I (1979)
>
>Cheers, Ian

R R Angerstein's Illustrated Travel Diary, 1753-1755, trans. T & P Berg,
publ. Science Museum 2001 ISBN 1 900747 24 3 has many references to lead
processing, including a description and illustration of ore washing at
mines in the Mendips.
Hope this will prove useful
Best wishes

--