Thank you for your very quick response.  I was aware that Fraser and
Chalmers had both an American branch and an English branch.  It may well be
that only the American branch merged with Allis Chalmers Company in 1901.
However, the stamp mill in this case does say "Chicago ILL" on it so it
must have been built by the American side of the company.  Trying to
research companies with international offices does complicate things!
__________________________
Susan Marvin
Alaska Region Heritage Program Manager
(907) 586-7859

                      Rick Stewart
                      <[log in to unmask]         To:      [log in to unmask]
                      CO.UK>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                     Subject: Re: Fraser and Chalmers Stamp Mill
                      mining-history
                      <mining-history@JISC
                      MAIL.AC.UK>

                      04/22/2003 10:43 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "The mining-history
                      list."

Fraser and Chalmers produced all manner of ore dressing machinery.  They
were certainly offering stamp mills for sale in 1923 (Ref:  Skinner's
Mining
Manual and Mining Yearbook 1923).  In 1923 they were advertising under the
name of "Fraser & Chalmers Engineering Works" of Erith, Kent with a London
office at "Magnet House, Kingsway, WC2".  At this time the proprietors of
F&C were "The General Electric Co. Ltd".

There is a fine set of F&C stamps (5 head Californians) at King Edward Mine
near Camborne - well worth a visit.

Rick Stewart.