Dear all

I coordinate the normal birth research list which has an international membership and which is set up to facilitate discussion about research issues in the area of normal birth practice and education. I have also been in discussion with number of people (some are on this list I know!) about setting up a network of sites where physiological birth is practised, and within which we can research various aspects of normal birth in its proper environment. these discussions are slowly moving towards some kind of action (honest!*) I also coordinate a regional group of clinical midwives who are undertaking research here in the NW region of the UK, and Tina Lavender, our reader here, has set up and facilities an active group of clinical midwifery researchers at Liverpool women hospital, so we have a significant stake in forging links in these areas.

Could the kind of activity being talked about by Trish and others below be linked with some of these initiatives?  I would be interested to hear the views of others on the feasibility of developments around these issues.

all the best

Soo

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/09/03 05:56pm >>>
Trish: we should talk some more. Between the two of us we should be able to
get the PBRN going...any thoughts?

On 1/9/03 12:00 PM, "Trish Payne" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My name is Patricia Payne and I am a CNM with a masters of public health
> and work at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, North
> Carolina.  I am working on research with two PI's about informed consent
> for VBAC trial of labors and contraceptive counseling.  I also teach in the
> nurse midwifery program at East Carolina University.  I am interested in
> developing a practice based research network for nurse midwives in the US.

Deborah S. Walker, DNSc, CNM, FNP, FACNM
Assistant Professor
Coordinator, Nurse-Midwifery Education Program
University of Michigan School of Nursing
400 N. Ingalls, Rm. 3320
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0482
734-763-3710
Fax: 734-615-8764