Dear All,

I work in a Birthing Centre; which is physically next door to a labour ward
with centralised monitoring.  My view is that the use of fetal scalp clips
has increased to prevent loss of contact as this of course sets off the
alarm bell, which is very annoying for those at the desk.  This is also very
distressing for those in the room as people who are watching the trace at
the desk keep checking on what is happening in the room, this disturbs the
room even more than having a CTG in progress.

My view is that the labour may be “managed” by those at the desk not
assisted by those who are observing the woman and her baby.  Another
personal view is that if a CTG is showing a “non-reassuring” trace the
midwife in the room may wrongly presume someone at the desk has seen this
and there is the potential of a delay in reacting to a trace when this is
necessary.

I feel the only time there may be a place for centralised monitoring in
those cases where monitoring of the baby is required such as after a motor
vehicle accident (I know this is not always considered necessary, but
hospital practice may be this).  If continuous monitoring in labour is
required there should be a midwife in the room also.

Keeping the traces is another issue as I believe with the benefit of
hindsight an expert witness can always be found who will point out some
defect in the trace and say it was not interpreted properly at the time so
the trace is merely recording evidence to use against the
hospital/Dr/Midwife.

Centralised monitoring just seems to exaggerate all the bad points of
continuous monitoring.

All these above issues of course depend on the people involved but this is
my observation.

Regards
Christine