Well, as it happens, one of the independent midwives here in the UK, Lesley Hobbs, who wrote about the purple line (as she calls it) some time ago, is planning her Ph.D. looking at this phenomenon, and on other ways of assessing progress in labour without using VE's. If you, or anyone else on the list who is interested in this topic want me to forward your emails on this topic to her, I am happy to do so.

all the best

soo

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/27/03 12:41am >>>
It has been mooted that at full dilatation a red line appears between the
buttock cheeks of birthing women. A local midwife has long referred to this
red line. I have always been skeptical but I read an article recently by
Gloria LeMay (www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pushing.asp  ) that referred
to this red line . It was the first time I had seen anything in print. Does
anyone have a scientific explanation for this occurence?. If it happens at
full dilataion could this be a result of pressure on the sacral plexus of
nerves as the presenting part descends?? I am reluctant to incorporate this
information into my teaching wihout an adequate explanation of how it
occurs. It could save some unecessary VE's. I am exploring Gray's anatomy at
the moment.
Just for interest it was 44.1C here on Saturday...today it is 24C much more
pleasant.
Jenny
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia.