my standard (if there is any such thing in midwifery!) advice to mothers in my care is - don't worry about the movement chart and the ten kicks, if you feel your baby is behaving differently to how it normally does then let me know asap and we can check it out.  In response to them saying 'well, I don't want to feel silly' or 'but I know how busy you are' I tell them that they are paying my mortgage and it is their right to get in touch with midwifery services for any doubts or worries they may have.

di
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Sue Dennett
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: Routine fetal movement counting/Any views please

In a message dated 23/01/03 21:14:43 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

I accept that there is not much evaluation around counting foetal movements, but I think we have all seen cases where women have reported a reduction in foetal movements and swift action has saved a baby

I do agree with Yana.  We've all seen anecdotal evidence that mothers concerns over her baby's movements have led appropriate intervention.  Saying that, I'm not sure kick charts hold the answer.  The two that I'm familiar with regiment the movements - ie. the stated 10 movements have to happen during 'office hours'.  Also - a question I'm always trying to answer for women is what constitutes a 'kick'.

I feel that we should explain the importance of being aware of the baby's normal routine.  If the mother feels sufficiently concerned over the lack of normality - it may be a good indication to review things.

Sue