Apologies for cross-postings.
I'm about to start a study which will look at the interior design of
maternity units in Britain. We will assess a number of factors, including
how the women who attend the units and the people who work there feel
about them.
We are going to be using the NHS Design Evaluation Toolkit, which is
now widely used as a means of carrying out what’s called a ‘post-
occupancy’ evaluation (i.e. once the unit is in use, does it function
effectively?).
Is anyone aware of any other tool which provides a formal evaluation of
a unit’s design? Several reports and articles make comments about a
unit’s layout, décor, facilities etc., but these comments seem to be based
on the report authors’ perceptions, or what they are told by people who
work there, rather than on any formal evaluation.
Many thanks
Andrew Symon
Dundee, Scotland