Hi Carol and list
What is 'new' midwifery? Maybe part of the argument revolves aroud the
meaning of 'new' in relation to midwifery. What is 'old' midwifery and what
is 'midwifery'. I agree there is no intrinsic affinity between 'feminism'
(what is 'feminism'?)as it is understood  & midwifery, the affinity has been
created and sculpted by society. The recent studies into the biological
differences between men & womens behaviours  might be useful to start with.
Why are women, on average, nuturung & caring while men are competitive &
less caring. The studies carried out by Ernie Govier and Helen Fisher are
interesting & provide compelling evidence that our behaviour is biologically
determined. It is inate in women to gravitate towards each other in
childbirth as a birthing woman is vulnerable to predators. We are a
successful species because of strategies like this.

In my years of midwifery I have often wondered why it always seemed easy to
establish a rapport with a woman in labour who had never met me before. I
believe it is a survival strategy. These are just some thoughts. My
references for Ernie Goviers papers are in my office, but his work is
recent.

Also there are some interesting papers by Robbie Davis-Floyd, Michel Odent &
Marsden Wagner on ideologies in relation to midwifery. I found them on the
web through the Elsevier Science web-site. Here is the link. (I think I was
put on to it originally by this list).
http://www.elsevier.com/gej-ng/10/22/53/35/35/show/

Hope this is useful Carol. See you in Darwin.
Jenny [log in to unmask]