I too read with interest an article by Lesley Hobbs in Practising
Midwife way back in 1998 referring to the purple-line  which begins at
the anal margin at the beginning of labour and creeps upwards and at
full dilatation is expected to reach the nape of the buttocks. However,
no scientific reasoning was given.
She referred to an article in the Lancet by Byrne and Edmonds in 1997 :
clinical method for evaluating progres in the first stage of labour 335
(8681) :122
Lesley's article in the PM was in the November 1998 edition Vol 1 :11
pp34-35.

Hope this info may help.

Jayne

Jayne E Marshall
Midwife Teacher
University of Nottingham
Post Graduate Education Centre
City Hospital
Hucknall Road
Nottingham NG5 1PB.

Tel : 0115 969 1169 ext. 45196.
fax : 0115 962 8019.

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/27/03 12:41am >>>
It has been mooted that at full dilatation a red line appears between
the
buttock cheeks of birthing women. A local midwife has long referred to
this
red line. I have always been skeptical but I read an article recently
by
Gloria LeMay (www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pushing.asp  ) that
referred
to this red line . It was the first time I had seen anything in print.
Does
anyone have a scientific explanation for this occurrence?. If it
happens at
full dilataion could this be a result of pressure on the sacral plexus
of
nerves as the presenting part descends?? I am reluctant to incorporate
this
information into my teaching wihout an adequate explanation of how it
occurs. It could save some unecessary VE's. I am exploring Gray's
anatomy at
the moment.
Just for interest it was 44.1C here on Saturday...today it is 24C much
more
pleasant.
Jenny
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia.