Hej everyone.
Amadas question on "how women will feel knowing that they are being
monitored beyond the walls of the room within which they labour" let me to
remember a refugee women I interviwed several years ago. She had a history
of experiencing torture in her country. While beeing in labour is was
beeing monitored with external CTG and the midwife left the room. The women
then started to reexperience scenes from the time of the torture, she felt
watched, and began thinking if the midwife was a prisonguard? Finaly she
had hallucinations. This was a very bad experiece for her. A midwife who
later talked to her postpartum helped her in contact with a psychologist
and she recovered saying to me: "I am abel to live my life now". The
nidwifes and doctores she meet during pregnacy and labour diden`t know
anythink of her background and diden`t ask either.
Jette/Denmark

Amanda Mansfield <[log in to unmask]>@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on 09-01-2003
10:01:06

Please respond to "A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive
       health              research." <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:    "A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health
       research." <[log in to unmask]>