Dear Colleagues,

In my qualitative study exploring the experiences of older first time
mothers, I am finding that many women describe a sense of unreality in the
in the early days of mothering, and speak of expecting the baby to
disappear, or of being surprised at the baby's 'real'  or human
appearance.  I'm just wondering if anyone knows where this sense of
'unreality'  is explored in the literature. I have several references to
the concept pre-natally, though I am having some difficulty locating it as
a post-partum trend.

Thanks in advance,

Mary Carolan