My apologies. I was in a hurry when I sent the previous email and didn't
check my facts!!! I was confused, and was thinking about the WHO effort to
develop a breastfeeding growth chart.

Here is some information from the CDC website about the breastfed sample
used to create these charts:
(http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/growthcharts/training/powerpoint/slides/013.htm)

"Another characteristics of the reference population that needs to be
considered is that the growth patterns of breast-fed infants differ from
those of formula-fed infants. Generally, breast-fed infants grow more
rapidly in the first 2 months of life and not as rapidly at 3 to 4 months.
Breast-fed infants continue to grow less rapidly up to 12 months compared
with the 1977 reference data, which were based on mainly formula-fed
infants.

The new reference represents the combined growth patterns of both breast-
and formula-fed infants in the United States. About 50 percent of the
infants born were reported to have been breastfed and about 33 percent of
those were breastfed 3 months or longer. Because the patterns of growth for
exclusively breast- and formula-fed infants differ, caution must be used
when interpreting growth of exclusively breast-fed infants. The American
Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends exclusively breastfeeding for the
first 6 months and continuing for at least 12 months. Currently, a reference
for exclusively breast-fed infants is not available.

However, CDC is collaborating with the World Health Organization (WHO) to
develop a set of international growth charts for infants and children
through 5 years of age based on the growth of infants and children fed
according to WHO recommendations (breast-fed at least 12 months and
complementary food introduced sometime between 4 and 6 months)."

Again, my apologies for the misinformation.
Julie

>From: Christine & Tony Holliday <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Birth weight
>Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 20:47:12 +1030
>
>No there isn't.
>Christine

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account is over
limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es