Dear Jon and MCG Mailing List

At the RAF Museum training and help using the CMS is provided by a dedicated
team in the Department of Collections Management.  We have found it works
running 'use of system' training separately from training covering
procedures.

We run five, one-to-one, initial training sessions (each no more than two
hours and in the morning!) for every user on how to use the CMS (Vernon).
This initial training covers the following areas:

1. Introduction to why we have a CMS and relational databases
2. How Authorities work and are structured
3. The basics of data entry
4. Imaging and Retrieval
5. Reporting

We also introduce and provide them with a copy of our cataloguing rules and
style guide and emphasise the importance of consistency.

After we have provided them with the tools to use the CMS their department
will provide more practical experience in using the system with reference to
the cataloguing rules and style guide.

At a later date we also provide a second level of training consisting of
more "advanced" features so as not to overburden the user in the initial
training.

Our collections management procedures for acquisition, loans out, movement
etc. are maintained in the Curatorial Division Handbook.  This will make
references to the CMS but does not include 'how to use' information.
Training in these areas is provided by the curatorial department with advice
from the Registrar or I if needed.  For instance, we are currently in the
process of rolling out the Loans Out Module of the CMS, DCM will ensure the
user knows and understands the procedures and will then provide training in
'how to use' to manage a loan on the CMS.  However, these do not need to go
into the very basics as this has already been provided in the initial
training.

DCM also provides help desk support and holds group forums when we have to
relay new features after an upgrade or simply as a refresher.

All CMS training materials are written and maintained by DCM using an
in-house style so that they are consistent in their structure.  Our training
materials go beyond just the initial 'how to use' training that all users
get and include areas of the system that are used only by DCM (e.g.
Security, User Defined Parameters, Audits etc...). However, as these are not
covered elsewhere and are only for advanced users they are a mixture of how
to use and procedures.  By documenting this knowledge we are also reducing
the problem of post holders moving on.

The training we provide is about providing the user with some of the tools
to do their job because the CMS is integral to the workings of the Museum.

As all our training is done in-house by a dedicated team I am unable to
recommend any external trainers.

I hope this is of help and if you have any further questions please feel
free to reply off the list.

Best wishes.

Kevin Ward
Head of Collections Management