> No Cuban librarian, no graduate of any of our Cuban library schools, nor
>any librarian or paraprofessional who currently or ever has worked in the
>Cuban library and information system has been detained."

GEORGE ORWELL - "Circus dogs jump when the trainer cracks his whip, but the
really well-trained dog is the one that turns his somersault when there is no
whip."

From the indictment of Ricardo González Alfonso, an independent Cuban
librarian who has just been sentenced to 20 years in prison: "In continuation
of his slippery actions, the accused González Alfonso, in the year 2000,
created and established in his home a library which was called 'independent'
in conformity with the interventionist focus of the North Americans, filled
with books containing subversive themes, in their majority received as
contributions from the U.S. Interests Section in Havana."

For latebreaking news on the worldwide anger resulting from the current
crackdown in Cuba aimed against librarians and other dissidents, please refer
to: (WWW.FRIENDSOFCUBANLIBRARIES.ORG).

Sincerely,

The Friends of Cuban Libraries
(www.friendsofcubanlibraries.org)