Chartered institute of Library and Information Professionals
Personnel Training and Education Group
Spice up your Career: making the most of the opportunities at your
fingertips

Friday 21st February 2003 10.00-1.00pm
Robinson Library, University of Newcastle
£53.00(inc vat) PTEG members £59.00(inc vat) others

This half-day seminar is intended for library assistants who are interested
in career development within an increasingly volatile working environment.
In particular, it will help participants to:
? Identify what employability is and why it is increasingly relevant to
library and information work
? Consider what employers are looking for and how our own skills and
experience match up
? Explore practical approaches to personal and professional development
including making the most of the appraisal process
? Exchange ideas and experience in a supportive environment
? Develop personal plans for future action

Programme

10.00   Coffee and registration
10.10   Welcome and introductions
10.20   What employers look for - assessing how well we match up
Jon Purcell (JP), University of Newcastle
10.50   Employment or employability: the changing world of library and
information work  Anne McIlwaine,(AM) SOAS
11.20   Tea/Coffee
11.30   Maximising our potential: Practical ways to improve our skills and
self-confidence  Sheron Burton, (SB) Royal Society of Medicine
12.00   Exploring the options. Choice of one of the following: -
1 Library School or not? (SB)
2 Training and professional development opportunities:  what is available
for library assistants (AM)
12.30   Plenary session (SB)
12.45   Action planning session and summary(Practical) (SB/AM)
 1.00   Close

Closing date for enrolments: 14th Feb 2003

To enrol for this seminar please email me at the above address and I'll send
an enrolment form by return email.

Abigail Edwards

Abigail Edwards
Assistant Librarian