Chris Baggs' email regarding receipts for usage of the lavatory at Barrow in
the late 19th century reminds me of the toilet bowl at Oldham where I worked
in the early 1960s.  This was definitely NOT for public usage at that time,
but I suspect that it was an original late 19th century bowl.  Indeed, some
staff were reluctant to use it because it was beautifully decorated inside
with roses (of course visible at times when used by men, but out of sight
and perhaps out of mind when used by the ladies).  I wonder whether it has
survived any modern rebuilding and "improvements"?

Edward

Dr Edward R. Reid-Smith
2 Salmon Street
Wagga Wagga,  NSW 2650,  Australia