[log in to unmask] writes:

<< In case you have not seen it, here is the call for papers for the Schools
Section of IFLA for the conference to be held in Berlin in August.  I do hope
some IASL members will be able to take up the challenge!
 Kathy Lemaire
 69th Council and General Conference: International Federation of Library
Associations and Institutions IFLA Berlin 1-9 August 2003

 CALL FOR PAPERS: OPEN SESSION OF SCHOOL LIBRARIES AND RESOURCE CENTRES
SECTION OF IFLA

 We invite you to submit a proposal for a paper at the Open Session of

 the School Libraries and Resource Centres Section to be held during

 the IFLA Conference in Berlin

 Proposed papers should cover the theme:

 School Librarians, social responsibility and partnerships:

 The role of libraries and school librarians in school library programmes
which satisfy the school community's need for information and confront
controversial issues. These might be social issues and political concerns
which face young people in their daily lives, for instance: racial or gender
bias, issues facing refugees, HIV/AIDS, drugs, child labour and human rights
issues. Partnerships with other professionals are essential in information
needs analysis and information provision.

 We are interested in ways in which school librarians are addressing this
issue. We wish to share good practice to support colleagues who wish to
improve their services to young people in this area

 Proposals for contributions are sought now. Papers that do not address this
theme will not be selected.

 An abstract should accompany the proposal, of at least one page.

 The deadline is 28 February 2003. The result of the selection process

 will be announced by 14 March 2003.

 Papers should not exceed 10 pages, including references. In order to

 be included in the conference papers, a camera ready copy will be due

 by 9 May 2003. Presenters will be allowed 20 minutes for the delivery

 of their paper.

 Please note that all fees, including registration to the conference,

 travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors of

 the accepted papers.

 Glenys Willars, Secretary of the Section of School Libraries and Resource

 Centres

 INTENT TO SUBMIT A PAPER: print or type the following information

 Name

 Address

 Telephone number Home

 Work

 Fax number

 E-mail address

 Title:

 Note: include an abstract of one page

 Language in which the paper will be presented:

 Equipment required for presentation

 Send your proposal to

 Glenys Willars Secretary IFLA Section of School Libraries and Resource
 Centres
 LSE Rothley Crossroads
 929/931 Loughborough Road
 Rothley
 Leicester

 LE7 7NH

 United Kingdom

 Tel +44 116 267 8008

 Fax +44 116 267 8039

 E-mail [log in to unmask]

  Visit the IASL website, School Libraries Online, at:

          http://www.iasl-slo.org