From: "Fowler C.A." <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 11:58 AM
Subject: Gale Licence agreement

I've recently attended the excellent CILIP course on licencing issues and
this has effectively opened my eyes to the content of some of the licences
that I have been happily signing in the past.

I have a Gale Group Licence Agreement on my desk and two elements have
caught my eye.  The Agreement is governed by US Copyright law and CONTU
Guidelines.  Secondly, the agreement is governed by the laws of the State of
Michigan.

The advice from the CHLIP course (and I paraphrase) was to check that
contracts covering a resource  delivered in England, are governed by English
Law and by English Copyright.

How have other people dealt with this sort of issue?  I am going to check
this with the University's legal department but I would be interested to
know whether anyone else has picked up on this.

Chris Fowler
Christine Fowler
Library IT Strategy Coordinator
and
Faculty Liaison Librarian for
Medicine, Health and Life Sciences
University of Southampton Library

Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: +44(0)23 80 593453  Mon-Wed Hartley Library
Tel: +44(0)23 80 796542  Thu-Fri Health Services Library