-----Original Message-----
From: An informal open list set up by the UK Serials Group
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kirsty Meddings
Sent: 07 October 2003 14:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Adobe 6.0 printing problem

Hi Sandra

The problem you describe is not specific to Ingenta.  It seems to be a
problem with the Acrobat Reader 6.0 plug-in (not the browser, as we have
been able to replicate the problem in IE and Netscape), and is affecting the
PDF files supplied to us by some publishers but not all.

Adobe's helpdesk inform me that there's a new limitation in Adobe Reader 6.0
whereby "PDFs with file names longer than 256 characters will not print".
We think this could be the cause, as although our actual PDF file names are
not very long, the URL displayed in the browser when you are using
Ingenta.com includes various session information and therefore often exceeds
256 characters.  Again, this is true of many sites and is not specific to
Ingenta.

Adobe say that this was not a limitation in version 5, and only affects the
6.0 plug-in.  Their advice was to always open the Reader separately - not
particularly helpful I know.

We will continue to investigate to see what we can do, and will certainly
alert the list if and when we hear of a patch or upgrade from Adobe that
fixes this new problem.  For the moment, all earlier versions will allow you
to print without problems.

Regards,

Kirsty Meddings
Senior Product Manager
Ingenta plc
23-38 Hythe Bridge Street, Oxford, OX1 2ET, UK
+44 (0)1865 799038 direct
+44 (0)1865 799000 switchboard
www.ingenta.com