From: Louise Cole
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 6/10/03 5:08 AM
Subject: Multiple ISSNs

Dear all,

An old topic but a relevant one for libraries which are now cataloguing
in
MARC21 format.

Now that it is acceptable to use multiple ISSNs, have any sites started
doing this (if you catalogue your print and e-journals as separate
records,
this will not apply), and if so, how do you differentiate between which
is
the print ISSN and which is the e-ISSN?

What about titles such as the BMJ which seems to have at least four
ISSNs
(and where it is not clear which is the main one)?  And titles such as
the
American Journal of Physiology where, because of the way the print
journal
is set out (numerous parts in one issue, all with different ISSNs),
there
has to be one record for checking-in?

This has always been an issue when linking in to Library catalogues from
database such as Medline.

And finally, what about using multiple ISSNs with link resolvers /
OpenURL?
Have those of you who are using SFX, Webbridge etc. found the lack of
multiple ISSNs in your catalogue to be an issue?

Thanks
Louise

Louise Cole
Electronic Resources Team Leader