From: Mieko Yamaguchi [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 14 April 2003 17:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Taking the plunge - moving to e-only

The question is not whether we have concerns about full content.  Do we have
the time to check which contents are missing or the staff resources to go
and find a back volume wanted by a reader in one of our off-site stores (and
to return it to the correct place so that if necessary it can be found
again)?

Rick Anderson's paper(*) at the recent UKSG conference convinced me that I
should stop worrying and throw/give away our printed back volumes.  If any
of our users happens to want some contents not covered by the backfiles
there's always the British Library Document Supply Centre - assuming of
course that they have kept their print volumes and have not replaced them
with the SD backfiles!

* Rick Anderson. How I learned to stop worrying and give up serials
check-in. Paper given at the UKSG 26th annual conference, 2003. Abstract may
be found at http://www.uksg.org/events/abstracts03.pdf

Mieko

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Hamaker, Chuck wrote:

> I'm wondering whether you have concerns with the SD backfiles about
> full content? Have you checked for letters, etc?
> Chuck

-----
Mieko Yamaguchi                                [log in to unmask]
Technical Services Manager/System Coordinator        +44 (0)1248 382970
Main Library, University of Wales Bangor, UK   +44 (0)1248 382979 (Fax)

Coming soon to the British Library Galleries

Painted Labyrinth : the world of the Lindisfarne Gospels

From 16 May to 28 September 2003

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
[log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent.

author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The
British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the
author.