Hi,

This is not only a step backwards in terms of information access but it
also ignores developments in the technology. For example some sites use
dynamic addressing to allocate IP addresses to PCs on start-up (we use a
variation of this approach for our Public Access PCs). In this case you
can't guarantee that a specific PC will have the same IP address all the
time. Other sites may require all off-site Web access to be through a
proxy which hides the address of the actual PC. A similar situation could
occur with a firewall hiding the details of a local network from external
services.

The whole idea of limiting access to specific PCs with specific IP
addresses is based on a model of the way the internet works that is long
out of date for many large organisations.

Regards,

John Smith,
The Templeman Library,
University of Kent.