Morrissey's Mum was a librarian too!

-----Original Message-----
From: Kimber, CE (Catherine) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 28 August 2003 12:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Financial Services Topuc - chat

Once, when I told someone (totally unconnected with the library world) what
I did for a living he said, "Oh librarians are really cool!  And they always
have such interesting piercings," which isn't something I've heard before or
since, I must admit.

Regarding the various comments about librarians being tweed-wearing,
stack-inhabiting or Philip Larkin clones, this makes me more uneasy.  Owen
Thomas is right, librarians seem to dwell on this image more than anyone
else, and I don't know why.  We seem to act as though the wearing of tweed
is somehow morally reprehensible.  I have met librarians at the cutting edge
of fashion and cool, but I have also met those who most definitely are not
and we shouldn't pretend they don't exist.  One of the reasons I chose to go
into the information profession is that it isn't a "style over substance"
type job.  I'm 27 and don't wear glasses on a chain round my neck, or my
hair in a bun, but I wouldn't expect anyone to take me less seriously if I
did.  We do ourselves a great disservice by worrying so much about what we
all look like.

And Philip Larkin, while I disapprove heartily of his politics, was a poet
and writer of great sensitivity and talent.  He was a librarian of no mean
accomplishment either.