This e-mail message has been scanned for viruses and unacceptable content.
I work in a Further and Higher Education College as  Learning Resources Officer.  Despite spending a significant amount of time essentially teaching students (and staff at times!) how to use the computers, particularly the very basics, we have been told by the department management that we do not have a teaching role and therefore will not get support to obtain a teaching qualification (ie JEB or similar).  We are to sort out students' problems with the computers (with technical backup from the IT support section) but to refer them to their tutors for teaching in the various software packages.

This obviously goes against the grain when it is usually something simple that you can show them in a few minutes.  Often the tutors send them to us telling them 'the staff in the library will show you how to use the computers'.  We do our best to help the students with their various IT problems but we don't receive the renumeration the tutors get, often for doing their job.

Our department 'Learning and Teaching Resources' covers IT support, Multimedia, Reprographics, etc as well as the Library Resource Centres.  When it comes to staff training/development the library staff always seem to be bottom of the pile.  We have to fight for course fees to be paid for us.

Does anyone else face the same problem?  If anybody has any solutions I would love to hear them.

Gillian Fleck

Attention:
The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended
only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and
delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.

Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

Belfast Institute reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications
through its networks.