Dear Colleagues,

We are organizing the General Session described below for the 2004 IGC in
Florence. The session has a half-day oral component in the morning, followed
by a poster component in the afternoon of the same day.

We have organized a group of oral presentations that will touch on some key
aspects of the interrelations among microstructures and dynamics processes.
We are now advertising for volunteer submissions for the poster component of
the session. We hope you will join us in beautiful Florence.

Scott Johnson, Dave Prior, Richard Spiess

General Session G-05.05 "From atoms to lithopheres - microstructural control
on dynamic processes".
Microstructures influence or control a large range of dynamic processes that
have shaped Earth and other planets. Over the past decade, new approaches
and technologies have led to an enormous increase in our understanding of
the interrelations among microstructure-influenced processes. For example,
analogue and natural rock experiments are providing mechanistic links
between grain-scale deformation and fluid migration. Analytical methods are
extracting deformation mechanisms from finite microstructures, and providing
in-situ ages on rates of microstructurally controlled processes. Numerical
modeling is addressing a wide range of microstructure-related issues from
folding mechanisms to subduction initiation. These new approaches and
technologies have helped field- and laboratory-based Earth scientists focus
on new issues and tests that provide essential feedback and real-world
constraints on models and experiments. As new understandings emerge,
conceptual models are reaching for new, unified syntheses regarding the
coupling and synergism among deformation, metamorphism and magmatism, and
their geodynamic relations to mantle convection and plate tectonics.

We welcome petrologists, structural geologists, experimentalists,
geophysicists, geodynamicists and material scientists to bring together
their different approaches, ideas and discoveries. Poster contributions that
address any aspects of this broad theme will be welcome. The deadline for
abstract submission is January 10, 2004, and more detail can be found at
http://www.32igc.org/default1.htm

Scott E. Johnson
Department of Earth Sciences
5790 Bryand Global Sciences Center
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5790
USA
email: [log in to unmask]
phone: (207) 581-2142
Fax: (207) 581 2202
http://www.geology.um.maine.edu/user/scott_johnson/HM.html

David J. Prior
Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences
Liverpool University
L69 3GP
email: [log in to unmask]
phone 0044 (0)151 794 5193
fax 0044 (0)151 794 5196

Richard Spiess
Dipartimento di Mineralogia e Petrologia
Corso Garibaldi 37
35137 Padova
Italy
email: [log in to unmask]