Visitor Studies Group
Annual Summer Conference
23 & 24 June 2003
Cabinet War Rooms, London

JUST VISITING?
Engaging With Visitors: why we should and how to do it.

There has been a real shift in the past few years towards the visitor. Some
in the sector would say that it's not only welcome, but overdue. Others
would argue that the pendulum has now swung too far.

From the bottom up, there's a genuine debate amongst professionals about the
way in which we should relate to visitors: about our integrity and their
needs.
From the top down, there's a raft of government policy pronouncements from
free admission to lifelong learning and social inclusion. While we're
working out how to respond, Re:source are introducing registration
guidelines and standards on visitors and the HLF are looking at the visitor
outcomes of lottery bids.

This two day conference will cut a swathe through the rhetoric and the
regulations.

Day One, Monday June 23rd will get straight to the heart of the matter.
Museum directors will tell the conference what visitor focus means in (best) practice.
Re:source and HLF will spell out what they are looking for. You will have the chance
to quiz, comment and reflect.

If Day One is the what and why, then Day Two, Tuesday June 24th is the how.
Expert tutors will share the case studies and techniques that will make a real
difference to you in your everyday work.
In short, if you've got visitors, this conference will help you clarify your
policy, your strategy and your delivery. You need to be there.

The conference is aimed at directors, senior managers and curators, but
anyone with an interest in visitors would find it useful and interesting.

We would like you to attend both days, but you can choose the day you think
is most appropriate to you or send different members of staff to each day.
The cost for attending this 2 day event has been kept down to just £80 for

VSG members and £95 for non-members (includes optional membership).
This covers registration, conference papers, lunch and all refreshments.
Reduced rates are available for delegates attending on only one day.

No need to raise a cheque, you can book online now and pay later at:
<http://www.lateralthinkers.com/justvisiting.htm>
<<http://www.lateralthinkers.com/justvisiting.htm>>

For accommodation enquiries
www.londontown.com <http://www.londontown.com/>
www.shortbreaks.com <http://www.shortbreaks.com/>
www.londontouristboard.com <http://www.londontouristboard.com>
For further information on this event please contact Tessa Wiley on 0161 430 4497 or 07866634451