Hi

On Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003, at 02:41 Europe/London, nima dehghani wrote:

> hi
>
> we used FSL-MELODIC to extract "independent components" of our "10
> subject trial"; in each trial, subjects experienced 2 conditions (A
> and B)...as a part of our analysis, we need differences of BOLD
> response between A and B!
> so:
>
> is it possible to use ICA to compare difference between 2 condition?
> or it will only give us components that we should check whether they
> have the similar timing pattern to condition A? or condition B?,...

Melodic will give you a representation in terms of spatial maps and
associated time courses where the decomposition is found such that
individual spatial maps are statistically independent. If this is also
true for the cortical areas involved in processing under your two
different conditions, then ideally melodic should generate separate
component maps with associated time courses that match the A resp. B
timing (the audio/visual stimulation data set which comes with FEEDS is
an example of this) If the cortical areas involved are overlapping, the
decomposition could, however, be different to what you'd like to see
(Calhoun et al. "Spatial and temporal independent component analysis of
functional   MRI data containing a pair of task-related waveforms"
Human Brain Mapping, 2001
give an example of this)

and yes, you should always check what you get
ta
christian